Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Distractions and a Project

Alright... so my scheduled posts (the ones I mentioned before about the actual school stuff) are in the works but it is 2:30am and I am not at all tired so I will instead update on a project that I can (hopefully) follow through with. Also, I am still awake at 2:30 in the morning and need something to do so I don't pack up and head out to Walmart...

So, in a sudden burst of inspiration (with several origins that I will probably go into here because it is late and I have no filter), I have decided to take up making 1000 origami cranes. My very own senzaburu. However, because it is me and I (1) never do anything normally and (2) am not the biggest fan of folding paper since it is so fiddly (and yes, I realize that the patience to manage the fiddly paper is part of why it is such a big deal to make 1000 cranes), I have added my own twist to things.

I will be making an origami crane quilt. On this quilt will be 1000 individual 4inX4in squares with an origami crane in the center. they will eventually be sewn together into a full quilt.

Assuming I make it that far.

The reasons for this (since you know I have to go into them) are a little circumvential (not even sure if this is a thing or the right word). It started at the beginning of last semester with our mental health group class where we actually participated in and led group therapy. On our first day we folded an origami paper crane. I then made several more cranes in my spare time while at work and so cranes have off and on been on my mind these last few months (I even made one out of a ticket stub at a movie!).

Then I noticed recently that my quilt has a few rips in it from the cat constantly attacking my feet. Also from the fact that it is 11 years old. I got this quilt from Deseret from a donation during Christmas during a time when we had basically no money and the church gave us each a $75 paper to get "Christmas presents" from the store. Someone had made quilts for the occasion and I "bought" one. I have used now through 6 (or more) houses in 3 different states. It is becoming worn.

I had been playing with the idea of taking up cross stitch so that got fabric and sewing into my mind, making me more prone to looking into starting something of this nature.

Then cranes were mentioned again on an episode of Eureka in season 4 and I decided to quilt one. Then I decided to quilt 4 in a little decoration.

Then today I decided that quilting 1000 was the best idea.

And so here we are. Tomorrow (which means today after I sleep and then wake up and get ready) I will buy my first 3 bits of fabric, some good thread, and a strong pair of scissors. and then I will get started.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where is Wynonna?

  This is my submission for the #WhereisWynonna challenge. I am not adept at making videos, and I really dislike recordings of my voice, so ...