Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Maybe Someday.

Many of you probably do not know this but I was conceived and raised by a single parent through the use of artificial reproductive technologies (ART) through a process called artificial insemination (AI). My biological father is a literal sperm donor.

Every once in a while I feel this sense of loss or discomfort. Normally this results in a few minutes or days looking through my DNA matches on Ancestry for the ones that I share with my sisters. Occasionally I write instead. I wrote this poem months ago and found it recently. I like it too much not to share.

The themes present could translate well to anyone with a family member they do not know although it was written specifically with anonymous donor conception in mind.
Without further ado...


Maybe Someday
You don't know me and I can't know you.
We are complete mysteries to each other. 
Maybe someday that will change.
Maybe someday.
I say that a lot, you know.
Maybe someday.
Perhaps that comes from you.
I don't suppose I'll ever know.
To you I was always just a potential.
An unknown.
A possibility.
A someday.
But someday came and here I am.
Even if you don't know me, I am here.
You don't have to know me for that to be true.
I exist and, you know what?
I am amazing.
That's all I'd like you to know.
Maybe someday you can see that for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where is Wynonna?

  This is my submission for the #WhereisWynonna challenge. I am not adept at making videos, and I really dislike recordings of my voice, so ...