Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Reality of paying off medical bills as a university student

The reality of life is that I do not make enough to cover my medical needs. Even if I worked full time at the job I have now (a whole 8 hours a week more than I do), I would not make enough. My current medical bills (not those that have gone to collections from when I was 18, unemployed, and didn't know how to cover them) are as follows:

Over $700 for place A
Around $350 for place B
About $225 for place C
$1000+ for place D

These are charges for 3 specialty tests, and several in office visits. The large charge is for almost 6 months of physical therapy.

I would like to point out that I do have insurance. I have also been current on my medical bills since I became fully employed three years ago.

Even without school costs (which I have now) and while working full time (which I am not now), I could barely keep on top of them.

This experience isn't mine alone. It is simply the reality of medical care today in America for the lower middle class. I accept that. Doesn't mean I like it.

As of right now, I am paying them off these charges with installments and on payment plans because right now I cannot afford to pay them off in a lump sum. Even if we simply take the rough estimates, I owe almost $1300. I only make around $1800 a month before taxes. Once we calculate out rent and utilities and insurances (including internet because, as a student it is a necessity), I have about $900 left (about half of all my income). If we figure the lowest cost for food as recommended, about $50 a week, that puts me at about $700. After gasoline for my car, at the max of $80 a month (I like to round up), I have about $620.

My current payments are as follows:

Place A: $50 (recently reduced from $75)
Place B: $55
Place C: New charge, no plan yet
Place D: $60

For a total of: $165

Leaving me with about $455

So I could make larger lump sum payments of a few of the charges to reduce them. Beginning with place C.

Of course, I do not get all of that money at once. So, once you cut in half, I have about $227.50 extra a paycheck. Just enough this week to pay off my outstanding medical bills with place C. Assuming I have enough after taxes. And do not spend more than $100 on food. More likely I will have about $175 left. I will pay $100 to place C and then pay it off on the next check. Assuming no unexpected expenses occur.

We will see where I stand on Friday but this is my current thoughts:
rent: $400
electric: $25
Cable: (with next check)
Gasoline: $30
Insurance (medical): $60
Insurance (car): (with next check)
Place B: $55
Food: $125*
Place A: (next check)
Place D: (next check)

Total: $695
Total [rough] income (before taxes): 896

Remainder: $201

And so my assessment of paying $100 to Place C is the closest I have to a plan.

Or just set up another payment plan.

*Yes, I could reduce how much I pay for groceries. However, as I am  including my pet-care and household cleaning products in this cost, I feel that it is reasonable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where is Wynonna?

  This is my submission for the #WhereisWynonna challenge. I am not adept at making videos, and I really dislike recordings of my voice, so ...